Re: Diald Setup

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 10:43:32AM -0400, Charles Gates wrote:

> I've installed the diald package, but I can't get it to work properly.
> There are two problems:

Which diald version and which kernel version are you running?  If you
are using diald 0.16 from slink with a 2.2 kernel you need to upgrade to
the potato diald.

> 1) diald won't dial unless I have previously started the connection with
> pon (it gives an error, www.whatever.com not found). Once I have started
> the connection with pon (and closed it with poff), diald will dial and
> connect as it is supposed to.

How is your name service set up, and how is diald set to respond to DNS
lookups?  It sounds like what happens is that netscape tries to look up
the address of the remote site but diald doesn't try to bring up the
link when this happens.

> 2) Once diald makes the connection, I cannot access any sites with
> Netscape. If I use pon to connect I don't have any problems.

I've no idea why this would happen.  Do other network services work?
Is there a default route through the diald-established connection?  Try
using tcpdump or something to look at what's going through the network
interface.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/