Re: backspace character does not exists in xterm,

[snip]
>> leaving me with a completely unusable system.  Fortunately I'm just
>> using this system to learn with so I didn't mind having to completely
>> re-install from scratch to get around this.  A rather drastic solution
>> though.
[snip]
> Ouch!!  How do you boot into linux?  There are several ways to avoid
> a reinstall. One way to fix this is to boot into single user mode(which

That, too, is overkill. Just press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to switch to a virtual
console where getty is waiting to log you in.

By default, you have 6 vc's, which you can reach by pressing alt-F1
through alt-F6 (use ctrl-alt in X), and X starts at vc 7. (And yes, you
can have more than one X session). I think you get 64 vc's as a Linux
kernel default; for more, you must recompile the kernel.

I think Debian's installation scripts mention something about this when
you install. If they don't, they should.