Re: [potato] gdm doesn't start windowmanager

Nico De Ranter <nico@sonycom.com> writes:

> I verified it: my .xsession-errors stays empty :-(.

Under gdm/Gnome your errors go to .gnome-errors and/or .gnomerc-errors
(couldn't figure out when which file is used ...) instead of
.xsession-errors.

You should set debugging on in the gdm.conf (it's an option somewhere
at the end -- I don't use gdm any more ...), then look at the syslog
file for the results.

To start a window manager behind gdm, I went to the .gnome directory
and edited the file wm-default (or something like this, sorry, can't
remember the right name, but you should look after something like wm
or windowmanager): instead of gnome-wm I wrote icewm-gnome (put in
your preferred wm).

Hope that helps,
joachim

PS: I once posted a bug report about gdm not starting a wm, you may
look at the bug database at www.debian.org.