Re: Backing up just my personal stuff (was: backing up a complet

Wim Kerkhoff <wim@netmaster.ca> writes:

> Anyways, I want to set up something, so that whatever apt-get downloads is stuc
> k into a proper hierachy like the mirrors do, and possibly a package file as
> well.  That way, when I want to reinstall, I just install whatever off the CD,
> and upgrade to potato with my partial mirror.  It does *kinda* suck to have to
> re-download all those packages again at 5kb/sec :)

You could point your `sources.list' to the cache directory. Indeed
there is a way to do what you want, but you would have to abandon
apt-get in favour of `dftp', which creates a directory hierarchy and
all needed package files whenever you download packages with `dftp
getnew' (preferably with the option `--ask'; you can then even get a
description of new packages which aren't yet installed on your
system).

Greetings,
joachim