Re: printer help

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Shao Zhang wrote:

> Just had a quick look of the stylus_color_720dpi-filter.
>
> The first couple of lines look like:
>
> # PostScript 0 %!  filter /usr/bin/gs -sDEVICE=stcolor -r720 -q [SNIP]

This is the slink version, while the poster indicated potato. Sometimes
this difference doesn't matter, but in this case there have been some
important changes, specifically the upp drivers replacing stcolor.

> now, copy this file to stylus_color_740dpi-filter and change all the
> 720 values to 740. Then update your printcap to points to this
> modified filter. Restart lpd by running /etc/init.d/lpd restart or
> /etc/init.d/lprng restart depends which printing package you got, then
> it should work..

How is changing the output resolution from 720 dpi to 740 going to solve
the problem? The 740 in "Epson Stylus Color 740" is a model number, not a
dpi rating.

> On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 05:44:40PM +0200, Jocke wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I can't get lpr to work properly. I guess I am just
> > unexperienced so some hints and advice would be
> > appreciated.
> >
> > I have a pretty slim potato setup.
> > gs-aladdin
> > lprng
> > magicfilter
[[SNIP]]
> > printer EPSON STYLUS color 740
> >
> > when trying to print a .ps file with
> > lpr some_file.ps I just get lots of form feeds and strange
> > output after a while
> >
> > when trying a ordinary text file nothing happens.
> > The job is in the que for a while but nothing prints.

i had this problem i while back with Stylus Color 600, in the end i ended
up modifying the stylus_color_###dpi-filter to use @stc600pl.upp instead
of @stc2.upp, and @stc600p.upp instead of @stc800p.upp. i don't know the
proper filters for a 740; the gs docs indicate that @stc500p.upp (360
dpi), @stc500ph.upp (720 dpi), and stcany.upp (360 dpi) should function,
although the gamma correction may be wrong.

Read the uniprint section in /usr/doc/gs-aladdin/Devices.htm for more
info.