Re: Backing up just my personal stuff (was: backing up a complete Debian GNU/Linux system)

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 09:52:11PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Michael Merten wrote:
>
> >     /var is 65Mb
>
> You will likely want to exclude /var/lock and /var/run and possibly
> /var/state
>
> No need to restore pid and lock files for programs that are no longer
> running :)

Yep, although /var/lock and /var/run won't save much in space,
/var/state could... one directory in particular
(/var/state/apt/lists) could cause an impact.  Apt stores all of
the *uncompressed* Packages lists for every source you have listed
in /etc/apt/sources.list here (it runs about 6M on my system).
Since running 'apt-get update' will effective replace them, there's
no need to waste space on a backup.

Mike (wishing he had money for a decent tape drive)

[Private mail welcome, but no need to CC: me on list replies.]

--
Michael Merten
          ---> E-Mail: mikemerten@yahoo.com