Re: Magicfilter and printing (Epson stylus 400)

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, David Wright wrote:

> Quoting virtanen (hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi):

> > Now I managed to get the printer printing text-files perfectly just by
> > selecting the right device while configuring.
> >
> > What about printing ps-files and other kind of files? Should I write
> > myself ps-filter or how is it done with 'magicfilter'? (The man page
> > isn't
> > very clear and in the docs there is almost nothing about it.)
>
> Usually the postscript filter is the first or second item in
> /etc/magicfilter/foobar. Just make sure you've got, say, gs-aladdin
> installed and then try lpr some-ps-file.ps assuming it's on lp in
> /etc/printcap.
>
> Cheers,

Hi,

thanks, it worked. This time.

It was exactly what I tried first. But I first configured the printer to
do 720dpi. It worked printing text-files but when trying ps it started
printing garbage. I configured it yesterday night to print 360dpi and now
it works. Just by using lpr ps-file.ps.

Even printed one photo out of Staroffice photocollection just to see...

Someone out there knows, if this is exactly how it should be?
Stylus color 400 cannot do 720dpi with slink system at all?

hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi

P.S.

If someone starts writing 'a beginner's guide using debian', there should
be an explanation how to configure a printer... In the docs it was even
quite difficult to find out that you have to run magicfilterconfig, before
magicfilter starts working (dselect-process didn't start any configuration
process for it.) This 'configuring a printer' could be included even in
the installation process as it is generally included in the other distros,
which I've seen (rh, suse)?

In hamm I found the best doc in 'customizing LyX' and wrote my filters
using that explanation. Didn't use magicfilter at all. (By the way: LyX is
is a very good program to make nice texts.)