Re: EXIM, Help stop relaying spam

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, David Warnock wrote:

> George and everyone else.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> We are now relay free according to all the tests I can do.
>
> I have put exim on the firewall and am currently directly accessing it
> via pop3 (qpopper). Now I would like to instead relay from exim on the
> firewall to exim inside the firewall. How do I do that?

As the final entry in the section under directors:

smart:
  driver = smartuser
  new_address = ${local_part}@internal-mailhost.sundayta.co.uk

This means that any user@sundayta.co.uk that really exists on the firewall
box will get delivered to the firewall box but any other user will be sent
to the internal mailhost.

If you want certain accounts on the firewall box to be forwarded to the
internal machine, you can edit the /etc/alias file to redirect it.

The reason you have to use this method of the smart director is that it
appears from your DNS information that the firewall box is both
sundayta.co.uk AND mail.sundayta.co.uk.  If you simply used
mail.sundayta.co.uk and made sundayta.co.uk a CNAME, it might be easier
since you would use a router rather than a director and mail to such
addresses as postmaster@sundayta.co.uk and root@sundayta.co.uk will not
try to be delivered on the firewall.