Re: apt-get blocked by firewall what ports does it use?

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 10:22:07PM +1000, Gareth wrote:
> G'day all,
> 	after some heavy network abuse our intranet admin has changed the
> firewall setup and now apt-get does not work. Does anyone know what ports
> apt-get it uses so I can ask him to enable them?

First..a pet peeve...if you are posting a new thread to the list,
please send a message to debian-user@lists.debian.org. Please don't
reply to an existing message. To my mailer, it looks like you are
adding to the "Powered by Debian Logo" thread.

apt-get either uses http or ftp connections, depending on how your
/etc/apt/sources.list is set up. It sounds like your admin has
blocked outgoing FTP connections. If you are just using the
standard Debian mirrors..most of them serve HTTP as well as
FTP stuff. Here's an example from my /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://nonus.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

--
Stephen Pitts