Re: Linux freezing up

Wim Kerkhoff wrote:

> I have on several occasions experienced a lockup of my system.  For no
> apparent reason, it will freeze up.  It will not respond to any keyboard
> control:  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't kill X, Ctrl-c, Ctrl-z, Ctrl-Alt-Del don't
> do anything.  Caps lock, etc don't toggle the keyboard lights either.
>
> What did find kind of strange, though, it was still connected to my ISP via
> modem, and masquarading for the rest of the network.  I could ping it from a
> win95 box, and 'see' the Internet through it.  I couldn't telnet/ftp into it
> though, only ping and masq.
>
> I had an uptime of 12 days when this happened.   It has done it before.  Where
> would the problem lie?  Hardware? Kernel?
>
> I'm running:
>         -Kernel 2.2.10
>         -Potato
>         -AMD K6-350 on an A-trend Motherboard

I've had similar problems that weren't limited to potato or
2.2.10, they happened when I ran slink and a 2.0.36 kernel too. I
also had a similar setup as you: amd-k62 250, kernel 2.2.10, and
an epox mobo.

My system would lock up hard, I couldn't even ping the net from
my windows box. I can't count how many times I gave the old three
finger salute to my system.

I thought it was netscape that gave me all the problems, and it
did seem to be a common denominator. I tried different
windowmanagers too with the same results. Last week I through in
the towel and dropped my 333 MHz celeron into my box and I've had
almost no problems (today it crapped out for some reason). I'm
running a libc5 version of netscape and I'm using Enlightenment
and gnome for X.

So, I guess I'm trying to say is that you're not alone :)
--
                                     __   _
Mark Wagnon         Debian GNU/ -o) / /  (_)__  __ ____  __