newbie² in trouble: installation failshello there, ( please forgive my poor English)I've got an interesting case for you linux wizzkids...I tried to install Debian 2.1 and now i can't boot from hard disk andfloppy, or reinstall the system:I tried to install Debian 2.1 on a 486 with floppies.I managed to bootfrom hard disk, and started doing some linux. Soon i got tired ofdownloading the packages each time i wanted to try something new andordered the cdroms. First wanted to configure the cd-driver for mycreative labs CR-563 B in linux, it never worked out(also in dselect).After a while i convinced myself it would be better to reinstall (whatwould allow me to repartition as well). I still had a rescue and a bootdisk. I repartitioned, and wanted to continue with a cdrom-installation.I couldn't configure my cdrom-driver. I tried a few things, and gave it up. When i wanted to reboot, i found out my hard disk was empty(i partitioned it), and i tried to reboot with my boot disk. Linux stopped booting with an 'unable to open an initial console' message. Then i could only try to reinstall with floppies. When i started the whole installation once again everything seemed allright, till i came at 'install the OS kernel and modules' where you have to insert the rescue disk (it was already inserted). i got 'this is not the rescue floppy...'message. tried it again and again, nothing helped. I threw the floppy away, took another computer, rawrited2 resc1440.bin to it, this one didn't work either, nor did any other floppy.(all formatted 14.4 disks that allowed me to start the installation but stopped at the same point).So these are my questions: how can i get Linux to understand that i'musing the right floppies? how can i configure my CR-563 creative labs in the installation program? what is this message when i boot from a boot-floppy:'unable to open an initial console'?here are some technical details: MB: Sis85c47,BIOS: Award v 4.50G,12MBram, SB16 with CR-563B CDROM (proprietary), linuxver: Debian 2.1, kernel

>hello there, (please forgive my poor English)

Hi Damiaan
	No need, Your English is very good.  I don't know anything about your
cdrom, but I do have allot Of experience with bad disks.  Try A
different disk and redownload resc1440.bin and rawrite it again it may
have gotten corrupted ( considering where it was )

		Mike Bulmer