Re: newbie² in trouble: installation fails

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 01:38:50AM +0200, damiaan wrote:
> hello there, (please forgive my poor English)
Your English, especially the spelling, seems much better
than a lot of Americans I know :-) If only we in the States
had such a good grasp of foreign languages as you Europeans do :-)

> I tried to install Debian 2.1 on a 486 with floppies.I managed to boot
> from hard disk, and started doing some linux. Soon i got tired of
> downloading the packages each time i wanted to try something new and
> ordered the cdroms. First wanted to configure the cd-driver for my
> creative labs CR-563 B in linux, it never worked out(also in dselect).
dselect wasn't the right place to configure the CD-ROM. You need to
load a kernel module (a device driver) for your CD-ROM. From experience
with a system with that type of CD-ROM, I'm pretty sure you needed
the matcd module. 'modprobe matcd' would have loaded it, and adding
'matcd' to /etc/modules would have caused the system to load it
automatically on bootup.

> After a while i convinced myself it would be better to reinstall (what
> would allow me to repartition as well). I still had a rescue and a boot
> disk. I repartitioned, and wanted to continue with a cdrom-installation.
>
> I couldn't configure my cdrom-driver. I tried a few things, and gave it
> up. When i wanted to reboot, i found out my hard disk was empty(i
> partitioned it), and i tried to reboot with my boot disk. Linux stopped
> booting with an 'unable to open an initial console' message.
Is this the boot disk from the previous installation?

>Then i
> could only try to reinstall with floppies. When i started the whole
> installation once again everything seemed allright, till i came at
> 'install the OS kernel and modules' where you have to insert the rescue
> disk (it was already inserted). i got 'this is not the rescue
> floppy...'message. tried it again and again, nothing helped. I threw the
>
> floppy away, took another computer, rawrited2 resc1440.bin to it, this
> one didn't work either, nor did any other floppy.(all formatted 14.4
> disks that allowed me to start the installation but stopped at the same
> point).
>
> So these are my questions: how can i get Linux to understand that i'm
> using the right floppies?
Try different floppies. Perhaps your floppy drive needs calibration?
I've had installations where it took several times. With my dedicated
Linux file server, I created a 20 MB DOS partition and used a DOS
based CD-ROM driver to copy these files to a "debian" directory:
base2_1.tgz
drv1440.bin
linux
loadlin.exe
install.bat
resc1440.bin
root.bin

Then it just cded to the debian directory and ran 'install'. Much faster
(and less error-prone) that loading from floppies! Once your system was
up and running, you could replace the DOS partition with a swap
partiton.

> how can i configure my CR-563
> creative labs in the installation program?
Wait for the section "Configure Device Driver Modules". Pick the
matcd module.

--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com