keyboard problem in X/started after restore from backup

Hi all,

I have been running Debian slink for about 4 months now.
Tonight I decided
it was time to take some more disk space away from Windows
and give it to
Linux, so I tarred (-cvvzf) my Linux partitions,
repartitioned the drive, and
untarred (-xvvzf) Linux.

I had previously done this same operation in cloning my
Linux to another
computer, and had no problems.

Tonight, after untarring, I have some problems:

1) the permissions for the devices in /dev apparently
weren't restored
correctly - I couldn't run wterm until I changed some of
them.

2) My keyboard isn't working right in X. I have the
backspace-as-del problem, and
also it doesn't recognize the "windows" keys at all.

I realize that there are some standard fixes for the
backspace problem, but I think
my situation is a little different.  My guess is that there
is a file somewhere which the
permissions are screwed up on, which is causing the keyboard
problems.  Hopefully
someone out there can suggest where to look.

Finally, should I have done something different with tar in
order to make it properly
restore permissions?  Seems strange, since as I said I have
done essentially the same
thing before with no problems .

Thanks,
Steve Stancliff