Re: Initial thoughts about Debian 2.1 (and I need some help!)

* "Salman" == Salman Ahmed <ssahmed@interlog.com> wrote:

OK, let's see what is still left open.

Salman> (3) I noticed that when I was running apt-get from a virtual
Salman> console (to upgrade to XF86-3.3.3.1), during the download the
Salman> other virtual consoles were 'locked' out. I couldn't switch
Salman> over to any of the other remaining 5 VCs.

Also the first time I hear of such a thing.

Salman> Debian this time booted in around 10-15 seconds using this
Salman> boot disk created with mkboot. What gives ?

Are you sure you still load the kernel from the floppy, or is it using
lilo and the kernel from the HD?

Salman> (8) During installation, I noticed a whole number of Linux
Salman> Gazette issues were being installed along with other docs. How
Salman> do I read these docs ? I thought they would have shown up on
Salman> the menu system!

They will rather show up on the documentation menu (package dhelp
and/or dwww). They are HTML text, so they can't be "started".

Salman> (9) I'd like to to upgrade to WindowMaker-0.60. What is the
Salman> best/ recommended way of doing that ?

The GNOME update contains windowmaker 0.60
http://www.gnome.org/start/getting_debian.shtml

Ciao,
	Martin