Re: Configuring a monitor?

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Andrei Ivanov wrote:

> > The monitor is HL 7870S Hyundai 17".
>
> What kind of configurations you mean? What you need to do is this:
> Get the docs for monitor (or find some info on the net) about vsync/hsync
> rates on it. Thats the only info you need. Then, based on input that you
> provide to the xf86config (never used XF86Setup) it will give you a list
> of possible resolutions at certain bpps.
> I think I know where your problem lies:
> When you get the modes, they are always listed from the smallest to the
> highest. The first working one is the one used ...so you get a list like
> 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
> All the time and you just run it. Then 640x480 is selected first and is
> used. So reason why all windows are so big is because you are using a
> crappy resolution. You need to change the order of resolutions from
> highest to lowest. No idea how it;'s done with XF86Setup, but in
> xf86config, when you get to the modes screen, just hit a key for bpp mode
> and follow instreuctions.

1)

I tried it that way that gave it as the ONLY POSSIBILITY 1280x1024 and it
made absolutely no effect.

2)

Here are the specifications of the monitor:

 Part Number
            HL7870S
 CRT
            17" (15.7)
            0.27 mm Dot Pitch
            Anti-Static/Anti-GlareAnti-Reflection
 Input Signal
 (Video)
            Video: RGB Analog
 Input Connector
            15 pin D-sub
 Scanning
 Frequency
            Horizontal: 30 ~ 70 kHz
            Vertical: 50 ~ 150 kHz
 Video Bandwidth
            100 MHz
 Displayable
 Resolution
            VGA up to 1280x1024
 Active Display
 Area
            Default: 300x225mm
            Max: 320x239 mm
 Display Color
            Infinite
 Plug-and-Play
            VESA DDC 1/2B
 Factory Preset             720 x 400 (37.5/70 kHz)

Modes
            640 x 480 (37.5/75 kHz, 43.3/85Hz)
            800 x 600 (46.9/75 kHz, 53.7/85Hz)
            1024 x 768 (60.0/75 kHz, 68.7/85Hz)
            1600x1280(64/60kHz)
 User Control
 (Microprocessor)
            Basic, Recall, Trapezoid
            Rotation (Tilt), Color Temp, Color
            Adjust, Preset Timing,
            Mode Self-Test
 Power
 Management
            Energy Star/VESA DPMS

3)
Is it possible that 'The Factory Preset mode' 720 x 400 (37.5/70 kHz)
rules so that I cannot change it what ever I do?

How to overrun that rule?

-
hv