Re: installing new kernel crashed X - Help

----- Original Message -----
From: Micha Feigin <michf@math.tau.ac.il>
To: Debian-user <Debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 01, 1999 6:34 PM
Subject: installing new kernel crashed X - Help

> I tried to compile an install kernel 2.2.10 on a 486dx2.
> It compiled correctly, but when I tried to install it it wouldn't start
> (halted with a message that it was trying to open some module and couldn't
> find it, and then that it couldn't mount root file system on 03:01.)
> I rebooted with the old kernel (a localy compile 2.2.5).
> I then tried to recompile 2.2.10, reinstalled it, but it still didn't
> work(same error).
> When i went back to the old kernel again and login into x, when i tried to
> log as a normal user, the screen would go blank and then throw me back to
> the login prompt (kdm). It did let me login as root.
> On the text consoles (not x11) i can log in as a normal user.
> What did I kill?
> All i changed was the kernels and lilo (at list as far as i know).
> If it helps, the compilation over filled my hard disk (it showed 0 space
> before starting the compilation)
> The second, the one that crashed the system, I didn't clean the kernel
> source before rebooting.
> Thanx
> michf@math.tau.ac.il
>

> --
/dev/null

Dear Micha Feigin,

I've had the X11 Problem, too. Possibly, you forgot to include some network
drivers/ protocols needed by X11 (TCP/IP etc. I think) in the kernel. I just
tried different protocols until it ran.

If it can't mount the root fs, you forgot to include a driver for that fs in
the kernel, I suppose.

By the way, why are you willing to switch to 2.2.10???

You should clean up your hard disk-did it cause any errors when compiling
the kernel?

Kind Regards, Stephan Hachinger.