Re: How can I change the host name?

Christian Dysthe wrote:

> On 31 Jul, Brian Servis wrote:
> > *- On 31 Jul, Tadas wrote about "How can I change the host name?"
>
> > Edit /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname, I also have a file /etc/mailname but
> > I don't recall what that is used for.  If you have that edit it as well.
> >
> Do you have to reboot to have these changes take effect?

No. But you will have to call "hostname your_new_hostname" as root.
See "man 1 hostname" for details.
Normally this is not required since the init-scripts do
that for you at boot time (in /etc/init.d/hostname.sh)
by calling "hostname --file /etc/hostname"

Bernhard Rieder

> --

 \ |,"( /`--""              `.    Bernhard Rieder
  (   _.-.              ,'"    ;  e9325898@student.tuwien.ac.at