Re: Just my opinion

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 03:10:50PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:

> thing is that the initial installation is important to a newbie because
> that is what they are focused on at the start. The fact that it will save
> them hours and hours down the road in maintenance once they DO get it set
> up is not very important at that stage.

Indeed - one of the things that most impressed me about Debian was that
once I'd done the install, pretty much all the services I'd installed
support for were set up and working.  With previous distributions, I'd
always had to spend far too much time figuring out what I'd installed
and working out how to configure it.  One of the most challenging
problems for the new admin/install tools will be keeping this while
making things easier for less experienced users.

One thing that I've heard said and which sounds about right is that
Debian may not be your first Linux system, but it probably will be your
second and after that you're unlikely to want to change.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/