Re: RedHat = MS-Linux

Ed C. writes:
> If a compromise is not possible, then an 'install-rc' tool *accepted by
> all dists* would be the only other choice, and it would essentially have
> to know the details about every dist that conforms to the LSB.  Writing
> (and maintaining) the thing could be real hairy.

The idea is that each distribution would provide its own install-rc.  The
interface would be standard, but the implementation would be entirely up to
the distribution.

Even if the LSB isn't interested, I think it would be useful to extend
update-rc to hide more of the details of the init system.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)