Re: Script to check whether modem telephone line in use --- how?

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> writes:

> Mark Phillips wrote:
> > This morning I typed "pon" to dial up a ppp connection, only to hear
> > noise on my modem to idicate that the line was already in use.  I
> > quickly typed "poff", but it was too late --- I had already killed my
> > father's connection to the internet.  He was not pleased as I had
> > killed his connection near the end of an 8M download.
>
> Brian Servis writes:
> > I think the best way is to get a 'line in use indicator' box that plugs
> > into the phone line.
>
> or better yet, fix pon so it won't do this.  I'll look into it.

You might want to look into the 'connect' program from
'http://www.caesium.fr/freeware/connect/'.  It tracks multiple connect
attempts so none trample over each other.  I have been using it for
several months now.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org