Re: Debian and Redhat - are most linux users missing the point?

Mark Brown wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 08:36:38PM +1000, Peter Ludwig wrote:
>
> > Now, I have a few problems with it.
> > 1) No "IDE" for the compiler.
>
> Try Emacs or XEmacs.  Don't be mislead by the fact that they call Emacs
> an editor - it's far, far more than a mere editor.  It has support for
> compilation and interactive debugging within an Emacs session, and has
> hooks for using version control systems and syntax highlighting for most
> programming languages you're likely to care about.
>
> I think there's also an IDE being built for GNOME (called GIDE or
> something) but personally I can't see any reason why I'd use it rather
> than Emacs.

	I kinda like to see an IDE myself.  I know emacs is powerfull
(I've got xemacs on my sys and am still experimenting with it),
but its still an editor with a *lot* of fancy features.  If emacs
could do what those of us who are familar with IDE's in the
DOS/Win world, then we wouldn't need DDD for example.  If you can
merge DDD capability into emacs *then* I'd use it.  In the
meantime, I've got my fingers crossed for the gIDE project.  No
offense intended against emacs lovers.

--
Ed C.