Re: I have PINE .debs...

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Paul Nathan Puri wrote:

> I understand that debian cannot distribute these packages in binary format
> as part of its distribution.  I believe that this is because debian is a
> legal organization who's policy is not to distribute non-GPL software.

Debian has no policy against non-GPL software.  Apache is part of the
Debian distro, and it is not GPLed.  Perl is not GPLed.  There are many
standard debian packages that are not GPLed.

>    "Redistribution of this release is permitted as follows, or by mutual
>    agreement:
>    (a) In free-of-charge or at-cost distributions by non-profit concerns;
>    (b) In free-of-charge distributions by for-profit concerns;
>    (c) Inclusion in a CD-ROM collection of free-of-charge, shareware, or
>    non-proprietary software for which a fee may be charged for the
>    packaged distribution."

I don't see any mention of redistribution of binaries here.

Read the following segment from the Pine license:
- ---
Although the above trademark and copyright restrictions do not convey the
right to redistribute derivative works, the University of Washington
encourages unrestricted distribution of patch files which can be applied
to the University of Washington Pine distribution.

If this software is modified for local use, please denote this on all
modified versions of the software by appending the letter "L" to the
current version number and by enumerating the changes in the release notes
and associated documentation.
- ---

You can't re-distribute dirivative works.  That's key because an official
Debian package would require a slightly modified binary in order to comply
with the Debian filesystem guidelines.  You can modify it for LOCAL USE,
in which case you need to append L to the version number.  Making
something available for download on the internet hardly constitues local
use.

However, since your Pine package has not been patched, you're operating
within the license.  I am just giving you the reasons why Debian can't
distribute it.  George Bonser stated on this list that it is possible to
have the University of Washington approve a modified binary release, and
that could work for you, if you wanted to make your Pine binary comply
with the debian filesystem standards and still remain legal.  But Debian
can't make that a part of the actual distribution because it violates the
Debian Free Software Guidelines.  I don't remember why it was removed from
the non-free section, though a reason was given at the time.

noah

  PGP public key available at
  http://lynx.dac.neu.edu/home/httpd/n/nmeyerha/mail.html
  or by 'finger -l frodo@ccs.neu.edu'

  This message was composed in a 100% Microsoft free environment.