nis

Debian folks,
    Something very strange is happening with my NIS setup.  I'm
running potato with the latest version of all the networking software,
and for some reason my NIS client (Debian box) now insists on sending
continuous network traffic between itself and the NIS server (SunOS
4.1.4 box).  Doing "nis stop" in the /etc/init.d terminates the
traffic, but once I do "nis start" and acces any of the NIS services,
the traffic starts up again.  I'm talking about continuous traffic on
the order of 100 kbytes/sec, which should definitely not be
happening.  Has anyone seen this problem before?  I would appreciate
an e-mail response as I don't read the mailing list on a regular
basis.

Thanks,
    Max