Re: off topic - Assembler using GCC

> I don't need it, but just out of curiosity, is there a more low-level
> interface available? Or would one have to write a kernel module?
>
> I'm thinking, if you need to do non-standard things with the control lines
> (say for a dongle).

In theory it is possible to do things like redirection of interrupts to the appropriate intel processor level. WINNT has this sort of capability.

The issues here are:

	You start limit the portability of the OS between different processors.
	The overheads associated with the intervening code.
	Do we really expect/want linux to be a realtime OS?

Surely all realtime code should be restricted to the the kernel and device drivers.

Regards ....