Re: Tracking installs

In a message dated 2/2/99 7:41:32 PM Central Standard Time, GalbraithP@dfo-
mpo.gc.ca writes:

> > 1) dpkg won't track anything done by installation scripts after
>  > dpkg does it's configuration.
>
>  You can archive everything under /etc for that (config files).
>  Anything else done in postinst will be recreated correctly
>  when you reinstall.

My point of creating such a program would be to allow you back out changes
made to your /etc files - for example, if you decide to try out some new
software and then decide it's not for you.

>  > 2) dpkg won't track non-deb packages - such as tarballs.
>
>  Then don't do that.  :-)
>  Package them up as .deb's and get a developer interested in doing
>  it.

That's not realistic.  Of course, we'd all prefer to use .deb packages, but I
don't have the time, nore the inclination to change all of the packages I'd
like to try out to debian format first.

-jay