Re: minicom config

Bob Nielsen wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, ktb wrote:
>

> > Hi, I'm trying to get away from my modem failing to hang up properly and
> > am attempting to install mimicom.  I went through the configuration
> > process and as root, the program at least starts the dialup process.
> > I aborted because I didn't want to be on line while in root.  I then
> > switched over as regular user and got the following message:
> >
> > ~$ minicom d
> > minicom: there is no global configuration file /etc/minirc.d
> > Ask your sysadm to create one (with minicom -s).
> >
> > Well I used "minicom -s" at the command line which takes me to the main
> > configuration screen.  I assume the file  /etc/minirc.d
> > goes in   "Filenames and paths"    the problem is I don't know which
> > line to put the file in from the choices below:
> >
> >    A - Download directory :
> >    B -   Upload directory :
> >    C -   Script directory :
> >    D -     Script program : /usr/bin/runscript
> >    E -     Kermit program : /usr/bin/kermit -l %l -b %b
> >
> > I would guess "Script directory" but I really don't have a clue and I
> > don't want to screw this up.  I am also assuming that I put
> > /etc/minirc.d
> > in either "A", "B", or "C", as root and the program will make the
> > appropriate file for me?  I have been through the minicom man page and
> > don't see anything about  /etc/minirc.d.  I tried messing with the
> > minicom.users   file to see if that would help, but it didn't.  I would
> > appreciate your help.
>
> The file is /etc/minirc.dfl.  From the main configuration screen there is
> a choice "Save setup as dfl".  Selecting this (after starting minicom as
> root with the -s option) will create this file with whatever configuration
> you have selected.

What you described is exactly what I had done.  It created the following files:
/home/kent/.minirc.dfl
/etc/minicom.users
/etc/minirc.dfl

And the directory,
/etc/diald

This configuration results in the following error,
~$ minicom d
minicom: there is no global configuration file /etc/minirc.d
Ask your sysadm to create one (with minicom -s).

> The filenames and paths have nothing to do with the
> name or location of the configuration file.

/etc is set in the Path.

> When in doubt, "man minicom" comes through.  It's in there, quite a ways
> down.

I read about the files at the end.  I don't see anything in the man page about
correcting what I'm experiencing.  I'll keep looking.   Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Kent