Notebook manufacturer recomendation

With a bit of luck I'll be starting work in a few weeks (crossing fingers
til they pop off and fly accross the room), and I was told I'd be bought a
notebook. So I was hoping I could get some pointers to which notebook
manufacturers tend to allow for easy debian installation. I believe the
companys semi-official provider is Compaq - any thoughts?

Also, is the palm pilot worthwhile or just a fun gadget (thought I might
ask for one when I start ;)?

Any info much appreciated.

Cheers
	Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.0 on Linux i386 2.1.125
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> | PGP key available on request