Re: KDM Sessions, was Re: RH vs Debian (Switch to Red Hat ?)

Hi,

maybe you are interested in my /etc/X11/Xsession I've already suggested to
the kdebase manteiner:

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP DECRYPTED MESSAGE-----
> On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, virtanen wrote:
>
> > I've got KDE and it works well, but I wanted to run sometimes wmaker as
> > well, because of less memory used. I'm using kdm to start x and then it is
> > showing kde starting screen with options to start fvwm, wmaker etc
> > windowmanagers installed, but I cannot start but kde. Which are the
> > various conf files I had to change? (If I use switchdm and try to start
> > xdm, it doesn't work.)
>
> Modify /etc/X11/Xsession so that it can respond to different parameters.
> Basically, specifying the session in kdm is simply passing a parameter to
> the Xsession script.  The parameter is whatever is showing the kdm combo
> box.  So, if wmaker is one of the selections in the combo box, then have
> your Xsession script check for 'wmaker' in its parameter  list, and if it
> finds it, run wmaker.  I can email you my Xsession script if you need it.
>
> noah

#!/bin/sh
#
# /etc/X11/Xsession
#
# global Xsession file -- used by both xdm and xinit (startx)
# If /etc/environment is present, source it. It's useful to put default
# environment settings in this file, and then source it both here and in
# /etc/profile.
if [ -f /etc/environment ]; then
  . /etc/environment
fi

optionfile=/etc/X11/Xsession.options

sysmodmap=/etc/X11/Xmodmap
usrmodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/etc/X11/Xresources
usrresources=$HOME/.Xresources

startup=$HOME/.xsession

for errfile in \
  "$HOME/.xsession-errors" "${TMPDIR:-/tmp}/xses-$USER" "/tmp/xses-$USER"
do
  if ( cp /dev/null "$errfile" 2> /dev/null ); then
    chmod 600 "$errfile"
    exec > "$errfile" 2>&1
    break
  fi
done

case $# in
1)
  case $1 in
  failsafe)
    if grep -q ^allow-failsafe $optionfile; then
      if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xterm ]; then
        exec xterm -geometry 80x24+0+0
      else
        exit
      fi
    fi
    ;;
  esac
  ;;
esac

if [ -d $sysresources ]; then
  if [ "$(echo $sysresources/*)" != "$sysresources/*" ]; then
    for resourcefile in $sysresources/*; do
      xrdb -merge $resourcefile
    done
  fi
fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
  xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if grep -q ^allow-user-resources $optionfile; then
  if [ -f $usrresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $usrresources
  fi
fi

if grep -q ^allow-user-modmap $optionfile; then
  if [ -f $usrmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $usrmodmap
  fi
fi

if [ -x $startup ] && grep -q ^allow-user-xsession $optionfile; then
  exec $startup
else
  if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xterm ]; then
    xterm -ls &
  fi
  # Ulisses
  if grep -q ^start-kdm /etc/X11/config ;
  then
	# Exec the Window Manager passed as $1
	case ${windowmgr} in
      	kde|kwm|kdestart)
            WINDOWMANAGER=startkde
            ;;
      	*)  WINDOWMANAGER=$1
    	esac
	exec $WINDOWMANAGER
  elif [ -e /etc/X11/window-managers ]; then
    	for i in `sed 's/#.*//' /etc/X11/window-managers`; do
      	if [ -x $i ]; then
		exec $i
      	fi
    	done