Re: dual boot?

>Hello?
>I am interest in Linux, but I don't decide yet if I choose it or not.
>So I'd like to install Linux and Windows NT 4.0 together.
>That means I want to make my computer dual bootable.
>Is it possible? If so, how?
>Please let me know.
>After considering that, I intend to order one.
>
>Thank you.

Certainly...I have a system here with W95/NT4.0 and two Linux's.
No special SW is necessary IF you install things in a certain order,
and even if you don't, as long as you've prepared a proper boot floppy
for it, you can then install Lilo, and boot them all from there.

If you only have a single disk in the machine, that likely means you
will need to partition it, or use FIPS to shrink the partition that
already exists...most PC's come with the disk as one giant partition
which is wasteful, and not what you really want if you're gonna run
Linux on it too, so the issues begin here.

I don't think FIPS can shrink anything other than FAT, so if your
disk is VFAT32 or NTFS, you're screwed there.  If that is the case,
you'll need to partition the disk, and reinstall the MS crap.  In
that case, install NT first after partitioning, and you'll want to
be careful to ensure that the Linux kernel is fully below the 1024
cylinder limit, as imposed by most BIOS's and Lilo (I think this is
still the case).

So, this decision is dependent on how much space you need for NT and
whether or not you have a single disk or not.  Keep in mind that NT
can live on another disk, as long as it can put its boot dependent
stuff on the root of the 1st partition in the machine.  Having Lilo
on the MBR does not interfere with NT's booter, but, NT will want
to put stuff there that its booter depends on.  If that 1st partition
is VFAT or FAT32 (whichever it is) NT can also put its stuff on the
root of the partition where it lives, but in that case I think you
need to use NT's booter to boot Linux also...not certain, but I
believe thats the case.

Anyway, I find the simplest thing to install NT first.  Then, do
the Debian install, and install Lilo to the MBR.  The system will
then go to Lilo's boot code after POST, and you'll have the opportunity
to boot either Linux or NT, but you must tell Lilo where NT lives in
the lilo.conf (other=/partition_where_NT_lives) and give it a label.

Some SW like System Commander takes care of much of this for you, but
its not really necessary, but it does a nice job for many folks. But
Lilo does fine too, and you save about $90, because its really not
required...Lilo can do it just fine...but the order of the install
is important or you can cut yourself off from one or the other of
the installed systems.  Like installing Linux 1st, then NT, will
clobber the MBR, and you won't be able to boot Linux unless you have
a bootable floppy to get back to it.  But, it can be done rather
easily without hassle...and it...

Works fine, lasts long time!
:)
Paul