Re: kernel 2.2.0

On 01 Feb 1999q, Helge Hafting wrote:

> > Those of you who have moved to 2.2.0---have you noticed serious
> > improvements in performance over the 2.0.xx kernels?
>
> You won't see much improvements in performance for a machine
> that runs a light load only.  This is typical for the home/hobby
> machines that many people have.  Try pushing it with a high
> load, particularly on a multiprocessor, and you should definitely see
> a difference.
>
> Other improvements include:
> better support for more hardware: noticeable if you have that hw,
> more filesystems: useful if you happen to need that.
>
> Helge Hafting

A minor, but to me quite important, improvement is that you can now modify
the cursor to appear as a coloured non-blinking block. I simply hated the
flashing cursor.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)