Re: PPP and Modem Question

It looks like the isp for your Fire Dept. box is expecting a chat login and
you are trying to use PAP.  Dial in with minicom and work through the login
until you get the garbage that indicates that the isp has started ppp to
find out just what he wants to see.

> I looked at my Win98 DUN setup and it is using 8N1 for bit settings.  I
> do not know where to go in PPP to play with the bit settings.

You don't need to.  That error message is misleading.  What is happening is
that pppd is sending packets to what it thinks is another pppd at the isp.
The shell at the isp echoes the packets (with bit 7 off because it is in
text mode) and keeps looking for the rest of the login.  Pppd, which is
expecting ppp packets, sees that bit seven is cleared and jumps to a wrong
conclusion.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)