Re: netscape

You can do either of the following to run:

/usr/local/netscape/netscape

or

cd /usr/local/netscape
./netscape

You can also add /usr/local/netscape to your path and then type:
netscape

from anywhere.

I come from a DOS/Windows background and I got used to entering the app name
in the current directory.  Someone mentioned that in Linux, the current
directory is not considered part of the path (unless it is in the PATH
environment already) so you need to use ./appname.

Steve

debian-user-request@lists.debian.org wrote:

> > `netscape & ' should do it.

> > What you describe sounds like a path problem. Where did you install

> > the netscape binary? If it's in /usr/local/bin/ (probably where it

> > ought to be, if you installed by hand), then you need to make sure

> > that /usr/local/bin/ is in your path.

> I installed to /usr/local/netscape/ (That was where the docs said to put
it.)

> > This will be defined in your.bash_profile file. Something like:

PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/etc/ppp/scripts"