Network problem

I've been running Debian 2.0 and Netscape 4.5 for awhile now. Yesterday, I
tried to install KDE, only to find I was missing some files. So I switched
back to the X11 environment, and find that even though pon connects to my
isv (I can ping ), none of my network programs will work: Netscape, ftp,
cftp, etc. The all start up, and then just hang. No error codes or messages,
nothing in syslog, just hung. Netscape doen't even complain about not
finding a url.

Question: where can I look to start diagnosing this problem?

Harry Hersh

p.s. Please reply directly to this email, as I do not regularly read this
list.