Re: Help me to install Debian 2.0

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Cristiano Viana wrote:

> I am trying to install Debian but when I try to install the software
> packages, I can't mount the CD ROM.
> Some people here told me to install the isofs module, but this module is not
> listed in the fs section of the modules selection.

Did you manage to install the base system already?
Did you use a floppy for that?
Does dselect start normally?

If the base system is there and it starts normally and you have a more or
less standard debian cd-rom, please try to start dselect (while as root or
su) and follow the instructions.

You need to find out your cdrom connection. It should be something like
/dev/hdx, where x is for example d as in my case.

You can mount cdrom before running dselect, but that is not necessary.
If you use dpkg -i -command to install dpkg packages you need to mount
cdrom beforehand. I do that for example this way:
mount /dev/hdd /mnt

Did you remember to use dselect and/or mount command as root?

hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi