Re: your mail

On 6 Jan 1999, ERIIX wrote:

> The idea has come that it might be possible to use a mini-dist. of
> Linux as a OS to boot the system ...use DHCP or BOOTP to get IP
> information... then have the Win 95 image be downloaded into memory...
> and boot as if it were the only operating system there.

 Hmmm. I think that'd be difficult. Loadlin or something like that is easy
enough in DOS or Windows 9x, since they don't offer any kind of memory
protection. If you tried to do this from userspace the kernel would fight
you. The only thing that might work is a kernel module. I've never heard
of one that would do that, but it probably could be written.

 You'd be more likely to find something like this in the DOS world. DOS is
small and not protected, so it's fairly easy to replace it in memory. I
did a quick web search on "bootp NEAR DOS" that turned up some message
forum. You could email some people on that and see if anyone knows
something.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles         (248) 377-7735          ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Anybody who has ever seen a photograph showing the kind of damage that
  a trout traveling that fast can inflict on the human skull knows that
  such photographs are very valuable. I paid $20 for mine." - Dave Barry