Re: ghostscript/view

On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 10:41:52AM -0800, Walter Kotorynski wrote:
> Running gv gives message "Exec of gs failed: Not a directory"
> and Dismiss just leaves the program running until manual intervention.
>
> setuid.Debian suggests chmod u+s /usr/bin/gs which doesn't help.
>
> setuid.Debian also suggests writing a  ps file which drags in /etc/passwd.
> This seems an excessively dangerous approach.
>
> gs as root works fine. Even \specials as headers in a tex file will
> blitz xdvi for users.

I had similiar problem with gs (with lpd+magicfilter not gv) trough last 2
years :(. On my server (without X) after each upgrade of some libraries lpd
always couldn't run gs. When I restarted lpd all problems went away. I
filled bug against lpd but it wasn't solved.

After upgrading to hamm I had more time to investigate problem.
gs runs as root but not as normal user. Playing a bit more I found that

  ldd `which gs`

as root gives differrent output when invoked as normal user.
I found that permissions for /usr/X11R6/lib/ directory were 0700 and denied
access to libraries for user.

Maybe you should check permissions for directories/libraries and play with
strace on gs.

Mirek