why .deb?

Hi!

Last night, I had an interesting conversation with my ISP about the
old distribution war. He brought me to Linux a year ago with SuSE and
I have converted to Debian in fall 1998 while he is still with SuSE.

He said one of the major reasons why he still uses SuSE is the
"strange packet format" that Debian uses.

I don't know the historical reasons, but why does Debian have its .deb
format? Does .deb have major advantages over .rpm?

Is there a FAQ that explains these historical decisions Debian has
gone though?

Any hints will be appreciated.

Greetings
Marc