Re: [Off Topic] Ideas on providing low cost email access to schools

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

> The Linux machine will queue all the outgoing mail.  This Linux machine
> will then dial another school or hub (via. PPP) during the off-peak
> hours and send out the emails from the queue.

> Questions
> ^^^^^^^^^
> 1. Has something like this been implemented elsewhere?  It would be nice
> if I had more actual technical details on how this has been implemented.

 Yes, you have just reinvented FIDONET. Do a web search on that and you'll
turn up some information. It reigned in the days of Bulletin Board Systems
(BBS's). During off-peak hours, the BBS's would call each other and
exchange data and email. Email (though slow by today's standards) was
possible from one end of the US to the other.

 I don't know how much technical help this'd be, but it might at least be
a useful reference for the article you're writing. Take a look at

http://www.fidonet.org/
http://owls.com/~jerrys/fidonet.html

> 3. Are there out of the box solutions available?  Do any of the MTAs
> support this kind of stuff?  I don't want to write custom scripts.  I
> prefer a solution that needs minimal maintenance.
>
> 4. I want to stay with TCP/IP.  uucp is not a solution for me.

 Sorry, I don't know enough about this to help out. Perhaps you could ask
on the Linux-net mailing list (linux-net-request@vger.rutgers.edu &&
linux-net@vger.rutgers.edu).

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles        (248) 377-7735        ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "COBOL is here for the long run... [O]n the Starship Enterprise make
  no mistake, the program that calculates their pay will be written
                   in COBOL..." - Jerome Jahnke