Re: Network Neighborhood and IPmasquerading

Ben Collins wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 05:46:19PM -0500, Will Lowe wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I've got a machine,  A,  that connects to network N via a ppp link to
> > machine M.  I'm planning to masquerade machine B through A (A will have
> > masq installed and run ipfwadm,  B will talk to the world through it).
> >
> > If net N has some windows machines,  and B is a windows machine,  is there
> > any way that B can talk to the windows machines on N in things like
> > Network Neighborhood?
>
> This is just my understanding and may not be correct. First, you will
> need to be able to masq the SMB protocol, and I'm not sure this can be
> done. If so then for machine B to see tha other windows machine in
> network neighborhood you will need to setup the lmhosts file on B
> (i forget where it is exactly) which is similar in usage to
> /etc/hosts in that it tells B where other machines are.

"Windows Networking" will masquerade just fine, at least the session protocol,
because this is simply done with a TCP connection. The "Windows Networking" name
service will never let you see everything in the Network Neighborhood over IP Masq.
because it relies on broadcast UDP which IP Masq. does not handle (and should not
ever handle, IMO). If you have the machine's host name in DNS or in your hosts file
you should be able to get to the machine by going to the 'Run...' and type
\\hostname. It *may* work if you don't have the host name in DNS or locally if you're
using a WINS server. If you're not using WINS it won't work because this uses
broadcast. Of course you can always enter the host/ip into your windows box's hosts
file. NOTE WELL: even if you enter the host/ip into your hosts file you still will
not see the machine in the Network Neighborhood. Yes, the difficulty with the Network
Neighborhood over anything othen than a small LAN bums many people out. However, the
mechanism which makes this evil thing work is fragile and flaky at best and those
responsible for it should be beaten. If you're interested in finer details of this
mechanism I'd be happy to discuss them with you offline.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com