Re: gnome

> Hi,
> When I used redhat I could start gnome and enlightenment using the
> gnome-sessions command.
> Is there anyway to do this with debian.
>
> Thanks
> Rick
>
> Hi Rick,
> the version of gnome that comes with slink is pretty old and doesn't support
> session management well. either upgrade to potato's gnome (which is really
> nice i might add) or start gnome/enlightenment by putting
> panel &
> enlightenment
> in your $HOME/.xinit or $HOME/.xsession.
>
> from

Thanks for your reply.
I am new to debian.
Since you mention it how can I upgrade to potato use apt-get.

Thanks
Rick

congratulations on your choice of using debian =>

to use apt-get, edit /etc/apt/sources.list and add a line for a local debian
mirror. i'm in australia so i use my university mirror, but i believe
ftp.debian.org/debian will work. so the line to add (you may want to comment
out the other lines too. i find the default ones there don't seem to work) is
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main

once you've done this, run apt-get update and then apt-get install gnome-session

you can also upgrade the rest of your gnome stuff the same way if you wish or
fully upgrade to potato by doing an apt-get dist-upgrade. it would be good
to upgrade apt to potato's version too. once you've upgraded apt check out the
html documentation in /usr/share/doc/apt/guide.html.

hope that helps!

from

da Bobstopper