Re: Kernel Upgrade: Slink to Potato

*- On 31 Dec, Patrick Dahiroc wrote about "RE: Kernel Upgrade: Slink to Potato"
>  thanks for the info on Potato.  if i do decide to go to Potato is there
> something i should be wary of.  it appears from the other distro that the
> 2.2 kernel is working fine.  does Potato have any specific issues with the
> 2.2 kernel i.e is something horribly broken that makes Potato very unstable
> under kernel 2.2?

Not at all.  Potato is 'kernel 2.2 certified', meaning it is designed to
work without any problems with 2.2 kernels.  Thi biggest issue for
potato right now is that the package freeze is approaching and I suspect
that there might be a rapid influx of updated or new packages just
before the freeze.  I have been running potato with a 2.2 kernel for
several months now and haven't had any major problems.  If you are
cautious just watch debian-user and debian-devel for problem packages
before you do an update once you have potato installed.  If you don't
have a pressing need to upgrade and are nervous about it then don't and
wait for the release to happen in late Feb.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.