ncurses and python

>From the slink cd i installed the python module python-curses 1.5.1-7
>From www.python.org/doc/howto/curses/curses.html (by Andrew Kuchling)
I understand that this is the original curses module, and that there
exists a much improved one, to be found at
   andrich.net/python/selfmade.html#ncursesmodule
But that file, and all the other ones there, is rpm not deb.
I cannot find anything like it in unstable main contrib non-free.
So there seems not to be a new curses for debian. Is that true ?

Also, in The Python Library Reference (www.python.org/doc/lib) I cannot
find the function newpad(), mentioned buy Andrew Kuchlin.
Nothing about colors either. So I really think this is the old
curses module.
What is my mistake ? How do I go on ?
egbert
--
Egbert Bouwman - Keizersgracht 197 II - 1016 DS  Amsterdam - 020 6257991