Re: Download once, apt-get install many?

Ben Lutgens wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 04:49:59PM +1100, Frank Copeland wrote:
>> If the boxes are networked together, you can easily set up your own partial
>> mirror and install from that. Once you have upgraded box #1, use apt-move to
>> create a partial mirror from the .debs you downloaded, and set up a
>> web/ftp/NFS server to make the mirror available to the other boxes. Then
>> when you upgrade the other boxes, add box #1 to their /etc/apt/sources.list
>> as the *first* (or only) source.

>ouldn't you manually copy the contents of /var/cache/apt/whateverthehellitis
>or mount the original box's /var/cache/apt/ dir via nfs?

Since you are couching that as a question, I assume you haven't actually
tried to do it that way. And my answer would be: I don't know. If you ever
try it, let us all know how it goes. I do know that apt-move does the job,
without me needing to rummage about in the guts of the package management
system.

Frank
--
Please don't CC: me. I read the list.