Re: Burning CDs in Linux

> Rob Rati wrote:
>
> > I just got the new Yamaha 6x4x16x CD-RW and can't seem to burn a CD.  It
> > always error out with what looks like a buffer problem.  My machine is
> > all SCSI, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I do a CD to CD burn or
> > make an image and burn that from the HD.  It always errors out.

I believe the author of cdrecord is using a Yamaha as one of his test
drives.

At any rate, I have a Plextor drive, but really had to struggle with it
to get it to work for me.

First, both the Yamaha and the Plextor have a "block size" jumper that
is supposed to be set for use in Unix environments.  I had mine working
without that jumper set, but maybe the Yamaha is more sensitive to that.
It can't hurt anyway.

Also, the first thing everyone reccommends when you have SCSI trouble is
to check termination.  If you have only internal devices, the physical
ends of your chain must be terminated.  Also check cabling, high-speed
scsi peripherals can be very sensitive to crummy cables.

Also try using one of the newer alpha versions of cdrecord, perhaps
1.8a30 or better.

Another thing that I had to do is to get the linux kernel source, and
apply the scsi generic (sg) patch written by the author of cdrecord.
You can get it from the cdrecord homepage (sorry, don't have it handy).
Make sure you compile in scsi generic and scsi cdrom support in your
kernel.

For a while I thought my burner was getting too hot.  I don't know how
sensitive they are to heat, but just to be sure, I re-mounted mine in my
case so that there is a gap between it and any other drive.  I also
installed an extra case fan in my computer to get some more moving air
in the case.  I don't think all that was necessary, but it certainly
doesn't hurt.

Good luck,
Matt

--