su and chsh authentication/password failures

I'm running a freshly installed potato system, and can't get su or chsh
to work.  After typing in my password, I get the following messages from
su and chsh, respectively:

su: Authentication failure
Sorry.

Incorrect password for garman.

I can log in from the console with either the root account or my account
(garman) without any problem.  I am using the root password with su and
my user password for chsh.

I've tried both many times over, making sure to type these passwords
slowly and correctly, but for some peculiar reason, they aren't working.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Matt

--