Re: Download once, apt-get install many?

Mark Brown said:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 08:06:39PM -0700, Robert L. Harris wrote:
>
> > and 15hrs per box.  Since the -d downloads, can I take the files being
> > downloaded for box1, tar them up, copy and untar to box[234] and then
> > just "apt-get install" from the single downloads?  I'd hate to spend
>
> Yes - you want to copy the contents of /var/cache/apt/archives about.

Or NFS mount it.

I have a real /var/cache/apt on my file server which is exported via NFS, so
it holds the latest version of packages installed on any of my machines.  I
still have to apt-get update separately for each box, but that generally
doesn't take too long.

(I haven't dug into apt far enough to figure out how to make a single apt-get
update work for all machines without having to worry about them getting
confused about who's got what installed.  But most of my updates are to a
single machine anyhow, so I would gain little to nothing by doing that
anyhow.)

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+