Re: Possible hosts.allow problem

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 08:47:18PM -0500, Carl Fink wrote:

> ALL: LOCAL 198.168.1.*

You don't want the trailing '*' there - the . does wildcard matching by
itself.  I suspect you will find that "198.168.1.*" trys to match a host
by that name.  Also, don't you mean to have your local network be in
192.168?

> Since my laptop is 198.168.0.2, this *shouldn't even work*.  (I
> originally typoed the IP address and just noticed it while typing this
> message!)  However, since adding that line to hosts.allow, suddenly my
> box is open *from any host anywhere*.  I've just confirmed this by
> telnetting to my ISP's host and playing:  my ftp, telnet, and SMTP
> ports are all open.

I don't think it's the fault of that line, though - the default is to
grant access unless it's denied.

> The only uncommented line in hosts.deny is

> ALL: PARANOID

> Surely that should be blocking anything not on my local LAN.  What's
> up?

No.  It only does a consistency check on the connecting host.  From
hosts_access(5):

       PARANOID
              Matches  any  host  whose  name  does not match its
              address.   When  tcpd  is  built  with   -DPARANOID
              (default mode), it drops requests from such clients
              even before looking at the access  control  tables.
              Build without -DPARANOID when you want more control
              over such requests.

To deny everything from everywhere, say "ALL: ALL".

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/