Re: [expert] Re: Proposal: Source file package format (summary)

I thought about this issue for a long time... And I came up with a
compromise.

- The .tar.gz (or .bz2) source file format is ideal, because it's for any
platform.
- Source RPMS not only contains the .spec and main source, but often
contains patches, additional source files, documentation, etc.
- Often, you have different rpms, for RedHat, Mandrake, SuSe, Caldera, and
others, with some subtle differences.

What I would suggest is having the .tar.gz source file, plus another file,
with a .build-rh.rpm , .build-mdk.rpm .build.deb extension.

That way, the author only has to maintain his source code, support for
particular distributions are found in a small separate file. You could
even have a .build-rh-contrib.rpm or .build-mdk-official.rpm, so you know
whether this is an official rpm or not. It would be up to the author of
the application to decide to put or not the build files on the ftp site.

Write me your comments on this!

Jean-Michel Dault
jmdault@netrevolution.com
jmdault@mandrakesoft.com