Re: Spontaneous reboot with 3c59x kernel module

Stuart Ballard <sballard@netreach.net> writes:

> I have had this problem on two different computers, at least 3 different
> 3com 59x network cards, and both the slink default kernel-image and my
> own compiled 2.2.12 (using kernel-package). In one case I was unable to
> install debian (slink) at all until I changed network cards to an ne2k
> compatible because the reboot happened before the installation finished.
> In the second case I am on cutting-edge potato.

[...]

> Does anyone have any similar stories to report, fixes, workarounds, or
> suggestions as to where to go to get the bug fixed, if it is a bug? (I'd
> say that even if it's user error it's a bug... no bad input should cause
> a spontaneous reboot, just an error message).

I think the best way to debug this is to remove the module in modconf,
and reboot to single user mode.  Then,

# insmod 3c59x.o debug=6

and watch the console for error messages.

In any event, you should probably check out:

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

and look at their mailing list archives.

HTH,

cbb