Re: slink --> potatoe?

*- On 29 Dec, Robert L. Harris wrote about "slink --> potatoe?"

> Ok,
>   I have a box on a 33.6K modem I want to up grade to potatoe, either before
> or after it goes final.  Is therre an apt-get command I can run before I
> go to bed that will do it cleanly for me?

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to potato (no e unless you are Dan
Quayle, =) ).

apt-get update
apt-get -d dist-upgrade  (notice the -d option)

Then when all has downloaded over you modem and the above command
completes without any error messages,

apt-get dist-upgrade  (without the -d option)

The -d option tells apt-get to only download and not install the
packages.  With a modem it is possible that you will loose the
connection and some files not get completely downloaded.  Once all the
files are downloaded then run apt-get without the -d option so that it
will install and configure the packages.  Note you will need ALOT of
space in /var/cache/apt to hold all the packages so make sure you have
space available.  Before apt-get starts the download it will tell you
how much it is going to download so use that as your guide.

HTH,
Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.